Throughout its ninety-year history, Papastratos has proven that it is well informed about changes aimed at making a better world, for everyone. But how can you change the world without first changing yourself?
In response to this question, we made the decision to assume our share of responsibility and radically transform our operations, in line with science and technology.
To that end, from a tobacco manufacturer we became a technology company. We offer innovative tobacco products of potentially reduced risk, which were recognized by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in July 2020 as a better choice than smoking.
At Papastratos, we set a national target of 1,500,000 fewer smokers by 2025, as we urge smokers to quit smoking or turn to a better alternative to cigarettes.
Sustainable development is at the core of our transformation and is inextricably linked to achieving our goal of a smoke-free world.
With the first Integrated Sustainable Development Report (2020) we turn a new page in consistent communication regarding our actions and objectives. Committed to the UN Sustainable Development Goals, we shape our strategy for tomorrow, based on 5 pillars:
- PMI's portfolio includes advanced alternatives that eliminate the burning process, the main cause of the production of harmful substances in cigarette smoke.
- In July 2020, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved the sale of IQOS in the U.S., characterizing the product as of modified risk, appropriate to promote public health.
- To date, 1,300 patents have been issued for smoke-free cigarette technologies and 99% of PMI’s spending on research is related to the development of non-burning tobacco products.
- In Greece, IQOS is available in 24 exclusive IQOS stores and 21,000 points of sale (December 2020 data). By the end of 2020, 310,000 smokers opted for IQOS and kicked the cigarette habit.
- We invest in infrastructure and technologies, create new jobs, and offer high quality products and services.
- Our contribution to the State treasury is about 1 billion euros per year, which corresponds to 1.7% of the revenues of the regular budget in 2020.
- We recognize the importance of our supply chain, which includes 1609 suppliers of which 90% are in Greece.
- IQOS stores were certified as "CoVid-Shield" by the independent accredited certification body TÜV Austria.
- We were recognized as a Best Workplace by the Great Place to Work® Institute Hellas in 2012, 2013, 2014, 2017 and as a Top Employer by the Top Employer Institute yearly from 2015 to 2020.
- We have 823 employees, 24% of whom are women.
- We received the "Equal Opportunities Employer" certification from Equal Salary Foundation, the international organization that ensures equal pay to men and women and the same opportunities for advancement.
- We invest in our employee training and provide 9,000 hours of training.
- We increased parental leave for both parents.
- No waste was sent to landfills
- We achieved 100% RES electricity supply
- We achieved 64% recycling and composting rates
- We achieved 90% energy recovery from hazardous waste
- We were certified by the international standard, Alliance for Water Stewardship (AWS)
- We made investments worth 1,200,000 euros for the benefit of Greek society (in ministries, municipalities, NGOs, etc.)
- We donated medical equipment (ventilators, masks, gloves) to combat the pandemic.
- Starting in 2021, our goal is to direct 50% of our resources to actions to empower women and enhance their role in overall society, and the other 50% to actions to combat climate change.
1: Product Innovation
Parent company Philip Morris International (PMI) has been investing in R&D for a smoke-free future for over a decade.
2: Exemplary Operation
For PAPASTRATOS, the creation of added value for the economy and society confirms our responsible business practices and is aligned with the sustainable development strategy.
3: Employees & Partners
At PAPASTRATOS, our employees are the most important partner in our effort to make our vision for a better future, a future free from cigarettes, a reality.
In 2020, through targeted interventions in our factory, we achieved more efficient management of raw materials and reduction of the waste produced.
Pillar 5: Society
Each year we undertake and support important initiatives
See the full report here.